Wednesday 24 April 2013

A crocheted t-shirt rug

 

rug1

This little project of mine has been started a total of 3 times, and I finally settled on using a pattern, and a 12mm crochet hook that my partner bought me.

The pattern (in Simply Crochet, issue 4), suggested using DMC Hooked Zpaghetti , which is basically recycled t-shirt material (about £8 for a cone). It just doesn't feel right to buy t-shirt material, when it is so easy to come by at home and in charity shops etc. Since my intention was to recycle various materials, t-shirts etc. I ploughed on with using a variety of things I could find round the house. This was not a project to spend money on. I originally saw the idea somewhere on pinterest, and immediately rescued 4-5 tops from the bin.

The original idea had me crochet a long chain, and then somehow try to stitch the chain into a circle. Not fun. I then found a pattern to basically crochet the whole thing in the round, got halfway, procrastinated a bit (+ran out of material), and then my new Simply Crochet magazine turned up just in time, complete with a perfect pattern, prompting me to unravel the thing for the 2nd time.

 

IMG_0122

 

 

IMG_0119

 

I was attracted to the scalloped edges, and the variety of stitches involved, compared to just single crocheting until the rug was big enough. It got to a stage on attempt #2 that I was winging it and not very pleased with the results, having lost count of the stitches several rounds previous.

rug2

Combined with my latest decluttering efforts, and the fabric that I'd already cut into strips, I ended up with enough to finish the rug according to the pattern. Here is a list of things that is in it:

- 4 cotton t-shirts

- a cotton chemise from M&S that was too big

- strips of old bed sheet

- a stained long blue cardigan

- several hours worth of finger knitting

- some fleece pyjamas that I found terribly uncomfortable

- and some of an old jersey single bedsheet

It was awesome to recycle all these things that weren't serving my wardrobe into a rug. There are many different materials, some less preferable than others, but in zero-waste projects, you gotta use what you got!

It isn't in any way symmetrical, or even (different fabric weights/thicknesses), but it has a story attached to it. I can identify each bit of clothing and material I put into this rug. I rather like the uneven, multi-coloured rows.

If I was to do this again, I would stick with t-shirt material. It's the kind that is a bit stretchy, and when you cut it in strips, and stretch it, it curls in on itself and creates a beautiful yarn. The chemise, blue cardigan and the jersey bedsheet were my favourite to work with.  Learn how to make t-shirt yarn here 

The bad blogger in me didn't take pictures of the process, but once I'd finished the pattern, the rug did not sit on the floor evenly, instead choosing to rebel into ripples. In response I grabbed the iron, filled it with water, and steamed the rug while stretching it out and pulling it into shape (blocking it). I put it on medium setting, full steam, and emptied the water tank. It worked wonders, and now the rug sits flat! I didn't want to wet-block it because it would take an age to dry. Steaming it worked incredibly well and I'm happy with the result:

 

rug3

 

 

rug5

 

I have now consolidated 9-10 different objects into one rather colourful addition to our living room. All the scraps, and offcuts once I'd woven the ends in have been passed onto a dear friend who is making a rag rug with hessian. Zero-waste indeed!

 

Over to you


Have you made things out of recycled materials? Have you tried making t-shirt yarn? Want to join me on my zero-waste crafting adventure? I'd love to hear from you in the comments.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Very stylish and super cute!! Now I know, that to do in my summerholiday!!
    Have a beautiful day;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!
    It's fun to make the yarn, and make something out of old clothes! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Come and visit this blog at its new home www.beautiful-again.com. I've closed comments on this blog due to the spammy emails I get.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.