Monday 9 September 2013

A new elimination method for decluttering (also Project 333 series part3)

I came up with a new method for paring down my clothing last week.

I was struggling with the decision process in decluttering. This is probably something we all experience sometimes, yes? Which tops do I get rid of? Which are my least favourite? Which is my favourite?

This technique works on the psychology of choice. It is designed to limit the choice to one of two items, rather than 1 of 14 or more. The paradox of choice argues that decisions get harder the more choices we have. I was certainly feeling that way regarding my clothing. I tested the technique last week, to see the results. It seems to have worked, and I will continue using it for other categories.

The results from this were:

- I know which of my tops are my absolute favourites, and which ones are good but not great.

- I decluttered 4/14 tanks/strappy tops, and now have a nice round number of 10 (11 counting a winter tank, but I didn't include that in this round) tanks total. Before I started decluttering this summer, I had a total of 23 in this category.

- This method makes it easier to declutter overall, even if it might be a bit time-consuming. I prefer that the end result is a decluttered wardrobe, rather than not deciding at all.



I am going to attempt to explain how it's done! There are lots of photos, of each and every step. I thought it was best to include the whole process so I can explain it via illustration.


Step 1


Label 3 piles:

- FAVOURITES

- PROCESS

- PENDING


Step 2


Choose a single category of clothing, and get them all out. I chose tanks and strappy tops, as I was getting annoyed at the not-so-good ones in my wardrobe.

Put them in the PROCESS pile, one on top of the other, so you have a stack of items.

Step 3


Take the top item from the process pile, and lay it on a flat surface (I used the floor for easy photos). Take the next item from the pile, and lay it to the left or right. It doesn't matter at this point.

Step 4


Imagine you are in a shop, and you have only two choices; the two items of clothing in front of you. Pick your favourite, and then remove the other one to the pending pile. You always want to keep the favourite on the floor/table.

Step 5


Take the next item from the PROCESS pile, and put it next to your favourite from Step 4, replacing the previous item in the exact same location (i.e. left or right) Again, choose your favourite, imagining that you only have 2 choices.

Step 6


Repeat steps 4 and 5 until you have cleared the PROCESS pile. All your non-favourites are in the PENDING pile. The item that you are left with at the end, after you have run through the PROCESS pile once, goes into the FAVOURITES.


Time for an illustration


Round 1


I chose my absolute favourite as the first item, and so it won all 12 comparisons, but it doesn't really matter where you start.

Here is a collage of round one (reads left to right). The favourite of the two choices is always marked with a white star.





Result from Round 1. Blue strappy top goes into FAVOURITES.


Round 2


Move the whole PENDING pile to the PROCESS pile. Do not reorder it or tamper with it!

Starting with the top item in the pile, go through Steps 3-6 from above.

Here is the collage for Round 2. Again, favourites are marked with a white star.




Round 3


Again, move the PENDING pile to the PROCESS pile.

Start again with steps 3-6.






Round 4


Again, move the PENDING pile to the PROCESS pile.

Start again with steps 3-6.









In Round 4, I switched favourites half-way through. It's important that you don't start again with the PROCESS pile, or you'll be there all day! Just keep on taking the next item from the pile until it's clear.


Round 5


Again, move the PENDING pile to the PROCESS pile.

Start again with steps 3-6.





The turquoise tank won most of the comparisons in this round. Another favourite.


Round 6:


Again, move the PENDING pile to the PROCESS pile.

Start again with steps 3-6.




Round 7


Again, move the PENDING pile to the PROCESS pile.

Start again with steps 3-6.










Round 8


Again, move the PENDING pile to the PROCESS pile.

Start again with steps 3-6.




Round 9


Again, move the PENDING pile to the PROCESS pile.

Start again with steps 3-6.



End results:






In the end, I kept 10 (including the top I was wearing at the time), and decluttered 4. I kinda just went with what felt right. At first, I thought I may stop at 6, but then I was still missing some versatile options, and an old favourite. 10 seemed like a nice round number, and I may even repeat this process again in the future.

Note that the decision process isn't always as clean as I make it out to be here. Of course, our minds will be influenced by what we've already chosen. In my case, I chose versatile options as my favourites to start with, a) because I like versatility, and b) because I need them for work. Then once I had my versatile favourites, I was drawn towards the patterns.



As far as I know, this idea is my own, and I haven't unknowingly copied it from somewhere. If you know of something similar, do let me know!

Also, I'd love to find out if you try this for yourself. I realise that if you have more than 14 in one category, it might take a while, but it feels good. Sometimes, a methodical approach works well. Other times, I'm more laid back about decluttering, chucking things left right and centre (albeit rarely).


Any questions? Anything that isn't clear?


I'd love to hear from you in the comments.



Thanks for reading! 

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this idea; I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a pretty great idea. I will have to try it. I *just* decluttered my camis, too! I ended up handling my process a little differently, but ultimately, it's also about trusting one's gut: I cleaned everything, put it away, and felt physical stress by the over-full space I'd designated for my camis. I felt clear annoyance, in particular, toward four camis that I keep "just in case" (generally in colors I don't enjoy wearing, and therefore don't have other options for - bright red, green). I had three of those, and one top that I kept because "neutrals are useful" but always hated that it was so worn. So I removed those from the drawer, my remaining camis fit, and I felt an actual physical rush of "WHEW". Done. Sayonara camis.

    Are you ready for the freaky part? I also got rid of four of fourteen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rebecca, great to see you!
    I recognise that annoyed feeling too! I get it all the time, especially if my stuff gets in my way. I'm working on a more streamlined everything, so I don't get so frustrated!
    It felt so good to get rid of those 4! They would bug me when I wore them. I hadn't worn one of them for a year, and I wasn't about to.

    That is totally freaky!! seems 10 is a good number. Funny that you also had 14 and decluttered 4!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome Anna! thanks for stopping by. Let me know how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I'm going to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a really neat process! One of the reasons I struggle with decluttering is I have a hard time breaking it down... Definitely going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Nikkiana, thanks so much for reading!
    I suggest breaking things into categories first, it definitely makes decluttering easier. Pull out all items in the same category, so you can see what you really have. This method would also work for all items, not just clothes! Let me know how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Mopsa! Great! let me know how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea and I appreciate all of the photos - it truly helped me understand your decision making process. I am definitely going to incorporate this into my de-cluttering process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Christine, and welcome!
    That's brilliant, I am glad all the photos helped! Let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete

Come and visit this blog at its new home www.beautiful-again.com. I've closed comments on this blog due to the spammy emails I get.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.